01 May 2010

Aspirin Decreases the Risk of Breast Cancer Deaths

It was revealed in February 2010 that the use of anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin (and other NSAIDs such as ibuprofen and naproxen) has shown to decrease the risk of dying from breast cancer. This information comes out of the Nurses’ Health Study which has followed 4,164 registered nurses who were diagnosed with stages I, II, or III breast cancer between 1976 and 2002 until their death or June 2006, whichever came first. This study has looked at a wide range of health issues in these women. In particular, they started in 1976 looking at which of the women took aspirin on a regular basis (often to reduce risk of heart attack and stroke) and have attempted to draw correlations in other health areas.

The researchers looked at the breast cancer mortality risk and the number of days per week of aspirin use (0,1,2 etc.). They found that women who took aspirin two to five days a week had a 60 percent reduced risk of their cancer spreading and a 71 percent lower risk of breast cancer death. Six to seven aspirins a week lowered the risk of spread by 43 percent and the risk of breast cancer death by 64 percent. In the end they concluded that among women living at least 1 year after a breast cancer diagnosis, aspirin use was associated with a decreased risk of distant recurrence and breast cancer death. The researchers state that more information is needed but the use of aspirin could affect tumor growth or recurrence through a decrease in inflammation.

Interestingly, it was revealed in January 2009 based on data from the Nurses’ Health Study that the use of aspirin or other NSAIDs does not decrease the risk of getting breast cancer among premenopausal women. The information from both of these papers is intriguing and points to the role of inflammation at different stages of a variety of disease states. It is likely that a baby aspirin does more than treat muscle pains, headaches and offer protection from heart disease. More information is needed however, it is promising that anti-inflammatories may have a beneficial role in decreasing mortality risk after cancer.

Holmes MD, Chen WY, Li L, Hertzmark E, Speigelman D, Hankinson SE. Aspirin intake and survival after breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 28(9): 1467-72, 2010.

Eliassen AH, Chen WY, Spiegelman D, Willett WC, Hunter DJ, Hankinson SE. Use of aspirin, other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and acetaminophen and risk of breast cancer among premenopausal women in the Nurses’ Health Study II. Arch Intern Med 169(2): 115-21, 2009.

3 comments:

  1. This is a cool article. It is known that aspirin can help with MI's and other cardiovascular problems. I didn't know that it could help with breast cancer. Could there also be a correlation with aspirin on other types of cancer? It amazed me that the aspirin had such a profound effect on helping the breast cancer. It shows that the dosage of the aspirin is crucial to the amount of help it gives to the cancer. Are more studies being down to get a correct dosage to humans to help with these cancers? Doctors should consider telling there patients with breast cancer about these results and advising them to take aspirin daily. Aspirin is a major inhibitor of COX 1 though, so it can cause gastrointestinal problems. I would think that a cancer patient would like to deal with this risk than die from cancer though...

    ReplyDelete

  2. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,HypertensionFatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com. or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am Richard, I am here to testify about a great herbalist  man who cured my wife of breast cancer. His name is Dr Imoloa. My wife went through this pain for 3 years, i almost spent all i had, until i saw some testimonies online on how Dr. Imoloa cure them from their diseases, immediately i contacted him through. then he told me the necessary things to do before he will send  the herbal medicine. Wish he did through DHL courier service, And he instructed us on how to apply or drink the medicine for good two weeks. and to greatest surprise before the upper third week my wife was relief from all the pains, Believe me, that was how my wife was cured from breast cancer by this great man. He also have powerful herbal medicine to cure diseases like: Alzheimer's disease, parkinson's disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease, Back Pain, Back Sprain, Bipolar Disorder, Brain Tumor, Malignant, Bruxism, Bulimia, Cervical Disc Disease, Cardiovascular Disease, Neoplasms , chronic respiratory disease, mental and behavioral disorder, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, Asthma, Autoimmune inflammatory media arthritis ed. chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, impotence, alcohol spectrum feta, dysthymic disorder, eczema, tuberculosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, lupus disease, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis ABC, syphilis, diarrhea, HIV / AIDS, Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, addison's disease, chronic pain, Crohn's pain, cystic fibrosis, fibromyalgia, inflammatory Bowel disease, fungal nail disease, Lyme disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major depression, Malignant melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple sclerosis, Muscular dystrophy, Rheumatoid arthritis. You can reach him Email Via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com / whatsapp +2347081986098

    ReplyDelete