14 February 2010

Beer Bellies Indicate a Healthy LifeStyle

During Valentine’s Day weekend up to San Diego, my family and I stopped at a rest stop called Flying J. Flying J is basically a fuel-pit-stop for many road travelers, especially truck drivers. As I stood there pumping fuel into my parent’s vehicle, I observed the many truck drivers around my surroundings.

As each individual driver was busy loading their truck with fuel, sugar loaded or caffeinated drinks, and empty calories of junk food, I thought to myself that truck drivers are the number one people who struggle with obesity. As truck drivers carry our food, cars, and clothing from one location to another, their chances of eating a healthy diet and getting enough physical activity is basically slim to none.

However, I remembered reading in Journal of Inflammation for our class discussion, claiming that obesity in relation to insulin resistance is not claimed to support an association with body mass index, visceral or subcutaneous abdominal adipose tissue, and waist circumference but rather serum C-reactive protein and fibrinogen as well as spleen longitudinal diameter representing a reliable tool in confirming insulin resistance for the obese. Therefore, does this simply mean that normal-weight people might be at higher risks of obesity than truck drivers who appear to be “9-months pregnant”?

This then concluded, as I got back behind the wheel, that if it’s really what’s on the inside that counts then a lot of people who simply appear normal-weight are in big trouble.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's probably safer to say that obesity is on a continuum...rather than "safe"...first, you can be obese, but there are no other disease states that we can "see"...then something like increased CRP (and other inflammatory markers) will show up, finally (and rather severly) issues such as fatty liver!
    I would stress to you (and everybody) that obesity is NEVER an ideal situation and that the sooner we start treating this portion of the disease, the better (in fact, maybe preventing further complications)

    ReplyDelete